Enjoy The Beauty of Sea Beach from the Best Hotel in Digha
Located toward the South-West of Kolkata, Digha, the popular beach resort of West Bengal, is often called the ‘Brighton of the East.’
Discovered toward the end of the 18th century during the British Raj, the land was initially known as Beerkul, and was mentioned in one of Warren Hasting’s letters written to his wife. But, it was only in the 19th century, when a tourist by the name of John Frank Smith wrote about the place, praising its charm and taking it up as his abode.
Smith slowly made the place popular through his writings. After India got her independence, he even persuaded the then Chief Minister of West Bengal to style it into a beach resort.
Today, it is one of the most sought after travel destinations for short vacations and little breaks from everyday life. The sea and the sun make it a charismatic paradise, brimming with beauty.
Leaving the sand and the salt aside, there’s sea food to relish and sea shells to collect, too. Surrounded by casuarinas throughout the coast, the beach makes the perfect holiday destination, be it a small trip with friends or family.
All throughout the year, the beach and its mesmerising sunrises and sunsets witness visitors from all over the globe. Guesthouses, lodges and hotels in Digha are in abundance, and so are its mouth-watering delicacies. Eateries are easily available and offer you amazing food at very affordable rates. Staying at the place in not at all a costly affair.
While you are in this wonderful land, here is what you can do:
- View its sunrises and sunsets, and enjoy the sound of the roaring waves.
- Get into its waters. Yes, it’s safe for taking a dip.
- Take an evening stroll along its beautiful sea line.
- Roam around in the shore and the local market.
- Buy a souvenir or two. The market is full with little knick-knacks and colourful decorative items.
- There’s a Science Centre and a Snake Farm in near the beach. Visit these places if you are carrying your kids along.
- Take a boat ride on Amaravati lake.
- Visit the temples nearby. Chandaneswar, a very old temple of Lord Shiva, is only 8 kilometres away. Other shrines, like the Lankeswari and Kapal Kundala temples can also be paid a visit.
- Take a van ride to Udaipur beach, which lies at the Orissa border, 3 kilometres away from the land.
- Visit the Mohana and get a glimpse of the red crabs that dwell there.
- Walk around the cashew nut gardens and farms.
If you are a nature lover, you will surely fall in love with the land. Vacations spent here will leave you relaxed, rejuvenated and full of energy. The lodges are very comfortable and welcoming. The hosts will make you feel at home, even when you are away from home.
So, pack your bags and get going!